[TYPO3-v4] Core performance for 4.6 and beyond

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Thu Feb 10 18:33:56 CET 2011

Hi Dmitry and others,

i think we have to be specific. I read about LiveJournal, and it's
interesting:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7451

I think we shouldn't forget that different cases are dependend from the
infrastructur, means:
* server cluster
* data structure to cache

There is no "Best cache" for all situations.

If you have a high traffic site, you do more than configure cache, you
can bundle many many machines like LiveJournal, then you get more out of
memcache. If i use it on my local machine only, i have the same
performance as with DB. So there is a scaling factor.

I think we should be careful with "CF is bad because it's too slow"
The CF is not bad, but maybe our usage? To be honest, the best cache for
TYPO3 i've seen so far is the static files :) But you want users,
actions and interactions. Then you start doing many ajax things. Wow -
we didn't scaled ajax calls for TYPO3 so far, we are using them more and
more. So it's normal that performance is going down, noone optimized
that so far.

In TYPO3 we have some more bottlenecks, like basic structure of
init.php, or index_ts. With cache we should think about: can we simplify
the cache? can we reduce tags? As Christian mentioned, tags slow down CF
with most backends, maybe redis is a special one Christian loves and we
all don't know really, and memcache can be very fast with flat
structures (and many machines!)

So what is best? Instead of controverse discussion we could try to solve
bottlenecks with first
* find the bottlenecks!
Wow, first step. Now - why is that bottleneck? Can we improve it? Is the
concept wrong? Is the usage wrong? Is the data wrong? There are so much
possibilities that it's not easy to fix on first glance.
The more we gather our knowledge, usecases and performance measures, the
more we get out at the end. Let's improve it together!

vg Steffen