[TYPO3-v4] Core performance for 4.6 and beyond

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Tue Feb 8 13:13:46 CET 2011

Hi,

> Btw. whenever I read "significant refactoring" related to v4 I get a bit
> desperate because isn't that what we called v5 ;) / I've the same
> feeling related to your bootstrapping post - right approach but is it
> worth to do all this in v4?

Worth or not... :-) v5 current status is far from being usable, let be
honest.

What seems to be working quite well and already used for a few real
projects is the FLOW3 framework even if it has not reached a stable
status. Until now v5 has been more some "incubator" and development
environment for features we have been integrating one way or the other
into v4. Extbase and Fluid to name the most well known of them. Some
know-how has been backported from v5 too when it comes to ExtJS for
instance.

v4 won't die tomorrow and as long as there is no TYPO3 5.0 out. We
cannot really speak of a "transition path" from v4 to v5 as there is no
"target" at hand; v5 evolves as we speak. As such, all those refactoring
are worth them IMHO. Who knows, one day we may have a v4 BE which will
look quite similar to what we can see in the v5 BE ;-)

Xavier