[TYPO3-v4] Core performance for 4.6 and beyond

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Mon Feb 7 23:56:46 CET 2011

Hi,

I played a bit with the cf few days ago and also made the redis Backend
working, including perparing a tutorial, of how to set it up.
Although I've filled the caches with 10,000 entries, it did not run
significantly faster than the cf-DB backend or the old backend (for
mostly full-cached pages).

However, as we have seen, there are other issues, like the pain with
typoLink (#17401) and its domain retrieval (#16812). Putting such data
in caches (persistent or transient) could speed up many things and
prevent double work during page creation / uncached things.

I'd also like to see many other things cached, which are bound to some
new cache (like a confguration cache replacement, also cleared eg. on
ext-installation, without killing whole cache_hash). Things to put into,
which come to my mind: t3lib_compressor reading file_info for ~200
files, sprite cache (which a bit unhandy as it's only cleared on
extension installation), addToAllTCAtype (costing 40% of AJAX calls,
recently improved by Joey by factor ~2 (#17489)), ...

Distinguishing, whether cf is available or not, prevents easy and
frequently usage, whenever some information could be reused.

So I would really welcome to have it always available, to make more
frequently use of it.
Nevertheless, things like Dmitry's tweet about way higher load with cf
than without should be taken into account. It would be nice, if he could
investigate, why the difference is so big in his case.

Christian, how close are you getting to the old-caching performance, by
putting the autloader into the cache? I guess it's only 2-3%?

Kind regards
Steffen

--
Steffen Gebert