[TYPO3-v4] 4.5 and incompatible extensions

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Feb 3 21:11:57 CET 2011

Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 03.02.2011 11:49:
> Hi,
>
> On 3-2-2011 11:15, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
>>> As this information is developer related, why not use the deprecation
>>> log for that? By that it would be only logged if deprecation logging is
>>> activated and the syslog is not flooded.
>>
>> I thought about that, but its not that we are deprecating anything here,
>> its just a notice about a misuse of the API.
>
> And nobody would have noticed it if these extensions would have made a
> dummy BE user :-)
>
>> On the other hand, you're right that the deprecation log would be the
>> first place to look for if any extension is not behaving correctly and
>> "might break" in future installations, so it's a good choice.
>
> Sorry, but I have to disagree here. In the deprecation log a developer
> can see if an extension will start to fail in the future. If an
> extension does not work I will check the system log for error messages.

If we add the proposed check for a valid BE_USER before calling
writelog() on it, the extension will still work with 4.5.

But it might break on future versions where we could simply drop support
for it being called without a valid BE_USER. By logging that call, we
are thus officially deprecating this misuse of the API, informing the
developers about it (most don't do it with evil intensions, its just
that they never thought about it - since it used to work).

So its exactly for the purpose you mention (it might break in future
versions).