[TYPO3-v4] Request for comments: Separating password transmission from password comparison

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Fri Dec 23 16:01:41 CET 2011

Hi Dmitry,

> This is actually a huge change. I know several clients, who implemented
> their own auth services and those will break.

Why not take the benefit of having this knowledge, of how some people
build auth services (you or your clients)?

Maybe it is possible to build a compatibility layer for them - or decide
that it is done in a way that should never have been treated as safe,
because of circumventing APIs etc. and thus forcing them to make
adjustments (hey.. that's what you have to do from time to time with
software upgrades..).

I think you agree that user auth is kind of a mess, and I think you are
also fine with moving things on to improve them, make them more
flexible, faster etc.

So it would be nice, if you could have a look at the implementations you
know and guess, whether they could be adjusted to work with the changes,
or whether the changes would introduce limits for auth services and
block certain things (which should, of course, not be the case).

Please take advantage of knowing things instead of having to guess into
the wild, what people could have done. Standing still, because anybody
in TYPO3 world could have done it in whatever way is IMHO the wrong
attitude.

Kind regards
Steffen

--