[TYPO3-v4] Abandoning patches

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Tue Dec 20 19:35:55 CET 2011

Hi everybody,

Am 20.12.11 12:21, schrieb Andreas Wolf:
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> Am 20.12.2011 10:07, schrieb Dmitry Dulepov:
>> Several patches that I submitted or reviewed were abandoned by
>> various persons with reasons like "issue XYZ will take care of
>> it" or "FAL will do this anyway". However nothing was submitted
>> to fix issues I fixed with my patches. This worries me because it
>> does not feel right to abandon working solutions in favor of no
>> action. Nobody knows when FAL is coming (and don't tell it is
>> definitely coming in "this version" because v5 was definitely
>> coming in 2007). Neither the alternative bug fix was submitted.
>> So at least two things stay non-fixed.
>
> I share your worries. Even if FAL solves the problems, we still
> have 4.5 which does not have FAL (and will most likely never have
> it), so issues have to be fixed. And there's no good reason (except
> our lack of resources) to hinder development just because "there's
> something new around the corner".

In general I agree that if we talk about real bug fixes, that a
statement like "feature XYZ will solve it in the future" is no
sufficient. However, in this case it was a new feature for TYPO3 4.7
that aimed to modify the way of how files get stored on a TCA
configuration level (the "###REC_whatever###" feature that is know for
querying things).

My response to that issue (https://review.typo3.org/#change,1589) was,
that the particular patch is not complete (I've shown an example why
it would not work at all) and related to the File Abstraction Layer
that is exactly doing this, but on a more generic level (see my
comment in the issue - I was analysing that feature for quite some
time and thought about the pros and cons - be sure, that it was not
only a "I do not like").

So, the specific patch is not a good example here since it has not
been a bug fix and no other branches can benefit from it.

>> I think people should be prohibited from abandoning changes
>> unless the change breaks something OR they immediately submit a
>> better solution. That would be fair for each of developers and
>> good for TYPO3.
>
> +1

As SteffenR already stated, only the owner and some special users
(with the accordant permissions in Gerrit) can abandon these change
sets. For example, even I cannot abandon any change except those I'm
owner of.
However, there's still the possibility to cherry-pick an abandoned
change set and push it again with a new Change-Id.

Cheers,
Olly
--
Oliver Hader