[TYPO3-v4] Minutes of the 14th meeting of the 4.6 Release Team

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Thu Aug 25 08:39:22 CEST 2011

Hi,

> New features
> ----------------------------
>
> We already have a few new features pending for review in Gerrit, or even
> ready to be merged. We could create a branch for TYPO3 4.6 and leave
> master open for new features (4.7) from now on. But we don't want to do
> so because until the release of TYPO3 4.6.0, we should concentrate on
> fixing bugs and not implementing new (cool) features.
+1 (at least no branching until RCs are stable)

> However, this is dangerous to leave pending patches in Gerrit and even
> more when they have enough reviews because it can easily happen that
> some Core dev does not pay enough attention and clicks the "merge"
> button, resulting in new features being part of 4.6.
Then it could be reverted. Same would have been possible without Git,
too, if sb. does not pay attention.

> As such, we think that it could be wise to create a branch but not for
> 4.6 but for "next TYPO3 version after master", leaving master being the
> official branch for the upcoming 4.6 version. This will allow new
> features to be committed while still concentrate on fixing bugs for 4.6.
Sorry, that makes no sense. Branch 4.6 or branch it not, but master is
always the head of development. Declaring it as not "the most recent
version" would cause just confusion IMHO.

Kind regards
Steffen

--
Steffen Gebert