[TYPO3-v4] Personal names and fields in TYPO3

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Aug 24 09:59:28 CEST 2011

Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 14.08.2011 20:47:
> Hi,
>
> One of Xavier's (re)tweets brought an interesting article to my
> attention [1].
>
> After reading this article it seems we need a completely different setup
> for personal names:
>
> - full name (How should we address you in direct communication?)
> - sorting name (Which part(s) of your name should be used for sorting?)
> - formal name (Your name if it's displayed in a formal context)
> - informal name (Your name if it's displayed in an informal context)
> - preferred context (Do you prefer formal or informal form of your name?)
>
> TYPO3 is used in very different languages and people in those languages
> have very different naming schemes.
> This will give a possibility to cover all naming schemes, give a way to
> sort names in various languages correctly and address people in the
> correct way.
>
> What do you think?
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-personal-names

This sounds great.

But how will you get the frontend users to register on a site that asks
them 4 different ways of using their own name? :) The user will go away.
Even for backend editors it would be a pain if they are asked to enter
all variants for every name. If the input is some other database which
you need to import, it most probably also won't have the 5 variants at hand.

You will have to have a mapping between the "user input" and these kind
of setups before it makes any sense. And the mapping is probably not
something that can be done automatically.