[TYPO3-v4] Git submodules or not?

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Aug 22 11:59:07 CEST 2011

Hi,

> [...]
> After three months of experience gained, I tend to rethink about it, and
> consider moving back to Subtree merging after the release of 4.6.0 (and
> branching 4.6) which would avoid most of the trouble for the "regular
> developer" (which is not even interested in developing in one of the
> external projects), but put a bit more overhead for the project leaders
> (or maybe on the Release Managers / Team Leader) - at least while we
> cannot automate the merges into the core.
>
> What do you think?

I use the multiple branch setup and just as Christian, this is just
perfect. I finally like fixing bugs in "external" projects.

The only problem I see with submodules, is not the submodule itself but
the inclusion/use of them at different point of time, making git-bisect
a real pain to work with.

Besides that, I'm really not for reverting this way of working, this is
just too convenient to not do it this way.

Just my 2¢ as leader of DBAL

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6