[TYPO3-v4] [TYPO3-core] FYI: Raised DBAL version to 1.2.0alpha2

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Tue Sep 21 23:01:30 CEST 2010

Hi,

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> Xavier Perseguers schrieb am 21.09.2010 20:07:
>
>>> It only affects installations with DBAL accessing some non-MySQL
>>> database, right?
>
>> No, MySQL database too but only if DBAL is active (of course).
>
> Are mysql queries "parsed" when going through DBAL? I thought they are
> just passed "as is" to the native driver?

Yes they are parsed, this is why I said multiple times that testing the
SQL parser simply means activating DBAL even if running MySQL DBMS. This
is used because you may want to remap table and field names even for
MySQL. Some persons use this feature to work on two MySQL databases for
instance.

Just have a look at method exec_SELECTquery for instance. It is XCLASSed
in DBAL. You'll see that there is not much difference whether it's MySQL
or another DBMS. Well, the difference relies in ADOdb being used only
for non-MySQL databases, meaning for MySQL DBAL uses mysql_* functions
directly.

But you're right that normally nobody would activate DBAL just for fun
without a need to use it. However, extension authors should be aware
that simply activating DBAL lets them test whether their extension is
using the official DB API or not because their query will fail to be
parsed if they do unsupported stuff...

Xavier