[TYPO3-v4] [TYPO3-core] FYI #15601: Change all core PHP files to UTF8 encoding

Marcus Krause marcus#exp2010 at t3sec.info
Fri Sep 3 10:02:37 CEST 2010

Hi!

Steffen Kamper schrieb am 09/03/2010 09:20 AM Uhr:
> Hi,
>
> this stepwas plannned long time, discussed internally and in our RM
> meeting, We don't want the mixup, we have xml utf-8 encoded already, and
> now we have all files utf8 encoded.
> See also my RFC where i changed the umlauts in t3lib_div as preparation
> for this step (was announced there too).

Thanks Steffen. The point is, I assumed you have this discussed before.
But for someone who is not able to listen core internal discussions or
joined core meetings, such FYI commit is surprising.

IMHO, the problem description of the RFC is false as iso-8859-1 always
allowed to have special characters (=there is no such problem). It
should have been

"We already have UTF-8 and iso-8859-1 mixed up (adodb,fluid,extbase,xml
files) in core. We'd like to completely move to UTF8."

This is something I understand and would have prevented this discussion.

Steffen, what about a 10 lines buzz post about this change? (all the
things that were outlined in this thread) ;-)

Marcus.