[TYPO3-v4] help configuration in 4.5 moved?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 22 09:21:08 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 21-10-2010 23:19, Daniel Doesburg wrote:
> No, please. Give us the possibility to switch it off on a user base,
> like before.

I have not seen a real reason for either disabling help completely or
for displaying all the help texts all the time. It sounds like "I want
it because it was always there".

Disable help completely
----------
Pro:
-

Con:
- some options need more explanation than the name can tell

Display help text inline
----------
Pro:
-

Con:
- it gives information overload; most people hardly read anything at all
- the forms get too large
- many users don't need this information all the time for every field

Tooltips
-----------
Pro:
- people are used to tooltips
- it gives more information on demand
- forms stay small

Con:
-

Removing the options reduces the clutter in the configuration and keeps
the code and templates simpler.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert