[TYPO3-v4] Minutes from the 12th Skype meeting of the release 4.5 team

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Fri Oct 8 00:13:58 CEST 2010

Hi,

François Suter schrieb:
> Hi,
>
>>> Steffen said he wants to add SVG support for all browsers in TYPO3 FE
>>> rendering. He wants to use "svgweb" library to acomplish this [5]
>>
>> patch is ready for use and in core list, now it's your turn. Just
>> wondered about no response at all.
>
> Actually I'm wondering whether such a feature really makes sense in the
> core. In my many years of making web site I never had a request to
> display SVG graphics. Wouldn't such support be better introduced as an
> extension?

SVG is coming more and more again, even it's a quite old technique. This
is because the new browsers are incredible fast.
There are many features that make the difference:
* free scale of images without any lose of quality
* easy to defined animations
* support to direct display outcome of designer software tools (simple
example are banners)

For each new feature you could argument that it would fit to an
extension. Having native SVG support is something others don't have, so
it would be a next special of TYPO3, and with LTS may be exact what
people want to use in 1 year or so :)

But if interest is too low i have no problem, it's more a chance in my eyes.

vg Steffen