[TYPO3-v4] CSS styled content for HTML 5 (Draft attached)

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Oct 7 10:40:23 CEST 2010

Hi Thomas,

Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer schrieb am 06.10.2010 14:35:
> Am 06.10.2010 12:11, schrieb Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]:
>> that is fantastic. I will take a look at it, and we will be very
>> interested to get something like that in TYPO3 v4.5.
>
> Thanks - sounds nice!
>
> Of course we (would) need a switch to change between HTML 5 and HTML 4,
> but there's much more to think about. In general there are many options
> how you would like to generate HTML code.
>
> There is HTML 5, XHTML 5, XHTML 1(.1), HTML 4.
> Generally this is all valid HTML 5:
> <script type="text/javascript"> /*code*/ </script>
> <script> /*code*/ </script> (type defaults to "text/javascript")
> <script src="script.js"> (HTML variant, without type attribute)
> <script type="text/javascript" src="script.js" /> (XHTML variant)
>
> Furthermore the encoding can be specified this way too:
>
> And it's not only CSC which defines HTML output, there are many
> "hardcoded" tags (PageRenderer especially).
>
> So I'd say all in all it could be a lot of work creating a "switch",
> because it has to be implemented at several places I think.

Thanks for researching on that! I agree that we need to focus on a
global solution that best fits what we want to achieve ("HTML5 output")
with the most unobtrusive approach possible.

I guess using XHTML styled tags ("<br />") etc in HTML5 mode (which is
AFAIK valid) is the most efficient way of getting this going, as we
already have a pretty "XHTMLized" output generated by the core.

Furthermore I would like to know how this concept would fit into the
world of the "old browsers", if we need a browser-switch or what the
recommendations from the "HTML5-guys" are about that. I must confess I
haven't researched on that until now.

There is no specific project around HTML5 yet. I know that Benni is
working on getting the backend output "html5" and we have only the idea
of HTML5 in the FE. So if you would be so kind to make a concept for
that idea (maybe on a wiki page in wiki.typo3.org), we would have the
required kick-start for that project. As soon as we have some more
structured information, we can arrange a Skype meeting with the
interested guys to further discuss specific issues.

Thanks for your help!