[TYPO3-v4] [TYPO3-kickstarter] Announcement: Restructured Kickstarter-Team and new leadership

Peter Foerger pfoerger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 00:35:19 CET 2010

Hi guys,

as TYPO3 Version 4.5 will be the first release with "Long Term Support"
(LTS) the core team has decided to take over maintenance of the
Extdeveval and Kickstarter extensions. That is to provide extensions
developers the right tools for building and maintaining their
applications for the 4.x branch.
Sure, there also is the Extbase Kickstarter which is great for building
extensions with Extbase. While  we are drifting more and more into a
transition phase, it is essential to have both approaches available for
developers, may you decide what fits best to your needs.

As part of the restructuring process I have been asked by the core team
to take over the leadership of Kickstarter in conjunction with Ingo
Renner and Olly Hader, to somehow bridge the gap between the core devs
and the – how to say that, non-core devs? You get the point.

As you might have already guessed, I happily agreed.

So first of all you might ask yourself what will be the benefits of this
restructured team for TYPO3, you and your clients.
Well, most important seems to me the matter of fact, that you can be
assured Kickstarter will be around and actively maintained as long as
the 4.x branch is alive and supported. Bugs will get fixed and updates
to TER will be published on a regular base. New features will get
implemented wherever it makes sense e.g. adapting the generated skeleton
code, to reflect changes that meanwhile have been integrated into the
TYPO3 core. The right tool to get the job done is in place, which is a
good thing.

So what's next?
As the last update to TER has been a little while ago, almost two years
to be precise, I plan to release a maintenance version in a couple of
days, reflecting the changes that made it to the svn-repository in the
meanwhile.
Next will be to step through the bugtracker and squeeze the stuff in
there and also decide what features would be useful to enrich your
development process.

That's the point where I look at YOU. Being maintained by the core team
doesn't mean YOU can't contribute to the project anymore. That would be
to easy, dudes ;-) In fact we are always looking for volunteers (and
yes, that might be YOU) to support the project in whatever way. May it
be contributing code, doing reviews, reporting bugs ...whatever. So if
you are in the mood to get something done for TYPO3 and in this case
especially the Kickstarter get in contact with me. I will take you by
the hand and guide you into the wonderful world of the TYPO3 community.

That being said I will end up with some links for further reading and I
will be glad to see YOU around.

Happy kickstarting
~Peter

http://forge.typo3.org/projects/show/extension-kickstarter