[TYPO3-v4] New Default Configuration Options for 4.4

bernd wilke t3ng at pi-phi.tk
Fri May 7 00:44:43 CEST 2010

Am Thu, 06 May 2010 17:30:57 +0200 schrieb Benjamin Mack:

> Hey community,
>
> I am currently refining the installer and am thinking of having these
> new default options for new (!) installations in TYPO3 4.4:
>
>   * checking for mbstring, if available, set this as default csConv
>   option
>   * UTF-8 database by default (setting setDBinit, forceCharset)

I don't know. I have not set these before. I think they might not be
neccessary.

>   * GDlib2 instead of GDlib1 by default (maybe remove GDlib1 support
> completely anyways, or set it to deprecated)
>   * TTFdpi set to 96 by default

these later two I'm setting at every new-installation. I would like to
have it in new installations by default.

(any) default-values should be set to the most often used value
so the least work has to be done to get running installations.
For evaluation everyone please send in your localconf.php (without
passwords!). At the same time we can get the most installed extensions
and include them by default. ;-)

> In an additional effort, I could see having an update wizard that takes
> care of setting these options for existing installations, but for now I

This could break comaptibility. If these values are neccessary for an
installation it is set at the earlier first installation. If other
values are neccessary they are set. changing will break behavior.

> only want to care about new installations and would like to have your
> feedback on the values above (no new suggestions please), basically if
> you think that this seems like a valueable default setup, or if there
> are any side effects on complex installations.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html