[TYPO3-v4] New Default Configuration Options for 4.4

Lars Houmark lars at houmark.com
Thu May 6 19:46:37 CEST 2010

Hi Benni,

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> I am currently refining the installer and am thinking of having these
> new default options for new (!) installations in TYPO3 4.4:

Nice changes...

> * checking for mbstring, if available, set this as default csConv option
+1

> * UTF-8 database by default (setting setDBinit, forceCharset)
+1, if the entire creation of the DB and tables, will be seemliness done
with no problems for UTF8. Even though I have a kind of hidden love for
UTF8, it has also created some problems for me in the past. Can't give
any specific reproducible examples right now though. But hey, isn't it
like that with all love stories? All kinds of trouble.

> * GDlib2 instead of GDlib1 by default (maybe remove GDlib1 support
> completely anyways, or set it to deprecated)
+1 and also deprecate GBlib1.

> * TTFdpi set to 96 by default
+1 - yes please :)

> In an additional effort, I could see having an update wizard that takes
> care of setting these options for existing installations, but for now I
> only want to care about new installations and would like to have your
> feedback on the values above (no new suggestions please), basically if
> you think that this seems like a valueable default setup, or if there
> are any side effects on complex installations.

Should be simple to make, but let's try to get this in first, making the
updates should be pretty easy. Maybe besides UTF8, which should probably
not be touched for existing installations.

--
Lars Houmark