[TYPO3-v4] What to do with $TYPO3_USER_SETTINGS?

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Mar 12 18:50:51 CET 2010

Hi,

> the reason this array is global is that it's used for configuration in
> extTables-scripts. For sure you could add a function like
> $userSettings = t3lib_beFunc::getUserSettings() or something simular,
> but as with TCA you just write the config in these scripts.

I'm not contesting the fact that it's global. My fear is that more such
arrays are added later.

> i don't see a big problem, we don't need more for now or near future.

Well, that's exactly my fear. And if it's not used elsewhere, then we
have a kind of very special structure used only in a little corner of
TYPO3... And it seems a shame to have developed what you did for just
that form.

> Putting it as pseudo into TCA isn't a good idea as this array would
> raise and it's used often with loadTCA()

I didn't meant to put it into TCA, but to make this $TYPO3_USER_SETTINGS
array into a structure that resembles TCA more closely, in that it could
describe several forms and not just User settings. Basically this would
just mean that instead of having

$TYPO3_USER_SETTINGS

we would have something like:

$TYPO3_BE_FORM['user_settings']

or whatever name, but no a separate array for each such form. Of course,
we may never have such other forms, but then this should also be clear
that this is an exceptional structure, not meant to be used elsewhere,
which, again, seems like a shame.

Francois Suter