[TYPO3-v4] Include LESS in TYPO3

Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer thasmo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 20:50:49 CEST 2010

Am 25.06.2010 14:16, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> Sebastian Michaelsen wrote:
>> Certainly some of you know the CSS preprocessor LESS[1].
>>
>> It enhances the possibilities of CSS by adding variables, nested
>> rules, value calculations and something they call "Mixins" (very
>> useful too).
>
> Have once briefly looked at it. There are also a lot of disadvantages we
> should consider:
> - eats resources (we're trying to make TYPO3 faster too)
> - no IDE supports the LESS syntax, so it's harder to write and easier to
> make mistakes
> - LESS does not support all kinds of proprietary CSS stuff, which we
> sometimes need to make the BE/FE look the way it must look
> - an extra compilation step (besides merge and compress) makes it harder
> to debug CSS with browser tools like Firebug, IE developer tools, etc.
>
> (the website already listed the advantages... :-) )
>
> This is just my personal opinion.

I also had a look at the JS port of LESS (less.js) and it's really cool.
The problem generally is, that it's imo not yet fully useable due to a
lack of some features/CSS stuff etc.

Generally it's really neat and really helps developing CSS for bigger
sites but not sure when it will be fully useable. But maybe it's also
time to hook in and start an extension for it to have it on time?!

Thomas