[TYPO3-v4] Include LESS in TYPO3

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 25 14:16:00 CEST 2010

Sebastian Michaelsen wrote:
> Certainly some of you know the CSS preprocessor LESS[1].
>
> It enhances the possibilities of CSS by adding variables, nested rules,
> value calculations and something they call "Mixins" (very useful too).

Have once briefly looked at it. There are also a lot of disadvantages we
should consider:
- eats resources (we're trying to make TYPO3 faster too)
- no IDE supports the LESS syntax, so it's harder to write and easier to
make mistakes
- LESS does not support all kinds of proprietary CSS stuff, which we
sometimes need to make the BE/FE look the way it must look
- an extra compilation step (besides merge and compress) makes it harder
to debug CSS with browser tools like Firebug, IE developer tools, etc.

(the website already listed the advantages... :-) )

This is just my personal opinion.

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert