[TYPO3-v4] TYPO3 4.4 released - easier than ever!

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at think-open.at
Tue Jun 22 20:13:56 CEST 2010

On 06/22/2010 07:45 PM, Benjamin Mack wrote:

> that has the brand-new introduction package as an additional
> flavor to download for users who want to have a website running
>   within minutes.

Hello !

I have to rant about the first sentence of the new introducion package.
I think its somehow foolish to invite users of TYPO3 to try out the new
software by first aksing them to take some coffee.

I know coffee is something most people do not see as something
dangerous. But did you ever see a newborn or child drink coffee or
RedBull? When I remember my youth my mum only allowed me to drink
Coca-Cola when I reached a certain age.

And if you contact a doctor he will surely tell you that drinking
caffeinated beverages is not healthy. For pregnant women and childs
there are even more confident suggestions not to drink/eat caffeinated food.

It is sad to note that in our todays world caffein is everywhere. If you
have a look at the sweets section in your local supermarket you will
notice that 80% of all sweets contain chocholate which in turn contain
cacao which in turn again contain caffein. And not that few as many
people argue. You put only one spoon of coffee (~ 10g) in your machine
for a mug of coffee. But you eat 100g of chocolate if you have one
chocolate bar.

This is something sad in my eyes. As many parents do not think that it
is dangerous giving their children large amounts of chocolate or Coca-Cola.

And to get back to the TYPO3 introduction package: You would surely not
put one of the following sentences at the very first lines:

Grab a glass of booze, get drunken and start browsing through this ...

or:

Get your cigarette pack, light up a stick and start browsing ...

You get the point? I think it is not something nice to encourage people
taking stuff which is not good for their health.

I know it became a tradition somehow for programmers to drink huge
amounts of coffee. But even a tradition can be wrong. I also think it is
not correct in the eyes of Munich people when they see thousands of
drunken people walking out of the Oktober Fest, nor is it a nice
tradition for programmers to smoke one cigarette after other - while
this is also something which was quite common for programmers a few
years ago.

So I suggest we should change the first sentence of the introduction
package to something like:
Take a rest, lean back and enjoy browsing through this site to learn why
TYPO3 is the most powerful open source content management system.

Which is much more inviting to start a day of work in my opinion.

just my 5-cents,
greets,
Bernhard