[TYPO3-v4] TYPO3 DBAL

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Sat Jun 19 11:10:06 CEST 2010

Hi,

Thanks to Philipp and Jigal for those explanations. I'm currently doing
some military service and as such I'm not present in these lists those days.

>> Will it be implemented into the core in future or os it
>> already implemented into the core?
>
> It will probably never be included in the core because all these extra
> operations come at a price. Any overhead (even checks) will slow down
> the system.
> Recently a lot of effort has been invested to move "optional"
> functionality from the core to system extensions (for example
> versioning/workspaces) to get a leaner and faster system for those who
> don't need these extra features.

As said, DBAL actually is part of all TYPO3 distributions as it is a
system extension (which relies as all of them in typo3/sysext/dbal).

Common use in organizations is when there's already a "database
department" or some professionals of DB and the organization is using
Oracle. In such case, there's no way having a MySQL running as there's
no "know-how".

Other common case is to have TYPO3 use a standard MySQL DB but access
some business data in an another database. It may be another MySQL DB or
some business data in MSSQL, Oracle or PostgreSQL. The benefit of having
DBAL is being able to write the extension / code to access the external
database using the very same DB API.

As pointed out, DBAL slows down the DB layer as all queries are parsed
and recreated before being sent to the underlying DBMS. The other
"problem" is that although I do my best to provide as much support of
SQL as I see it's needed, you have to stay with a subset of SQL commands
you may use with MySQL. For instance there's no FIND_IN_SET support yet.

Regards

--
Xavier Perseguers