[TYPO3-v4] More friendly first install?

Jeff Segars jsegars at alumni.rice.edu
Mon Jun 14 17:32:37 CEST 2010

On 6/14/10 4:37 AM, Steffen Kamper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jeff Segars schrieb:
>> On 5/27/10 9:49 AM, Benjamin Mack wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> how about this:
>>>
>>> When checking if the file exists or not, we check if the installer was
>>> used already (that is, that the localconf.php actually has configuration
>>> options like DB host or some code after the # BELOW THIS POINT ... ) and
>>> if not, then the file gets created for the first time and is valid for
>>> one hour etc.
>>>
>>> Then we don't need to introduce a new configuration option for file
>>> contents.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>> Benni.
>>
>> Sounds great to me. Is this still on anyone's radar for 4.4 or have we
>> missed our window?
>>

> i don't think that's a big deal to implement, but i'm concentrating on
> the last bugs get fixed for rc1. Do you want to look at it?
>
> vg Steffen

Here's a super simple patch that creates the ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL file
just before tslib_fe redirects to the 1-2-3 Install Tool due to missing
database parameters.

* The ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL file is not limited to being created once. Any
time the db connection info is missing and tslib_fe tries to redirect,
the file will be created.

* The Install Tool check for ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL is in
typo3/install/index.php which does not do normal TYPO3 initialization.
This means db settings from localconf.php are not yet available, and
push us toward adding the file in tslib_fe or doing some larger rewrite.

Any thoughts?

THanks,
Jeff