[TYPO3-v4] 4.4 skin: EM load / unload icons

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 10 10:59:09 CEST 2010

Steffen Gebert wrote:
> Yes, that's the consistency, Lars wants to bring into the BE: It shows
> the status, click to change it.
> Also the bulbs hide/unhide are changed now: The show the status, instead
> of the action. This is now consistent to the (-) symbols in the page tree.
> We did the same for EM so.

There is no clue that a click will change anything. Besides, some icons
in the interface show an action (move up/down, edit, show,...) others
show a status. Some of the status icons have a context menu with actions
(pagetree icons), other have a mysterious action on click.

Icons which (also) perform an action should indicate that action. That's
what the small overlay icons are used for in most UIs. A page icon with
a pencil overlay: edit document; an icon with plus overlay: create
element; a user icon with a delete overlay: delete user.

Then again: what is the delete-icon? Sometimes it's trash can, sometimes
it's a red disc with white 'minus'-sign.
Hide-icon: a light bulb (very hard to recognize) with a delete
overlay... So, it'll delete the light... oh yes, it will become invisible.

A golden oldie in icon design gone wrong (not TYPO3 specific, it's a
general problem): a link has an icon with a small piece of chain on it.
This is very specific to the English language. A link is also an element
of a chain, but in other languages such a bent piece of metal has a
completely different name which has nothing to do with a web link. It
would be like using an icon of a picture frame for a list (in Dutch a
picture frame is called 'lijst', the same word that is used for list).

I'd also like to use a normal garbage can icon for the recycler. It's
very hard to recognize an over filled garbage can with the lid next to it.

Proposals:
- use clear icon overlays for actions. Since the red-disc-with-minus is
already used in several places for hidden (pagetree) and because it is
used in many countries in traffic signs for no access, a (red) 'x'
should be used for delete actions.
- icon overlays for actions should have a fixed position. This way it
becomes clear if an icon has an action when clicked.
- status should be shown in the icon itself if possible (unless the
states become too complex, but then the function of the icon becomes
completely different)
- make related icons consistent (see attachment for versioning/workspace
icons)
- please, make icons not language dependent.

Sorry for the ranting, but 4.4 is *the* chance to get the UI right for
the next couple of versions of TYPO3.

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert