[TYPO3-v4] Release notifications in the BE

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Sat Jul 17 17:23:44 CEST 2010

Hi,

>> [1] Popup / layer which is shown if a new message is there
>> [2] A notification bar in the top displays the amount and tyoe of
>> messages as long as they are not read / deleted.
>> [3] List of messages in an inbox with some details like severity and an
>> external link to get more information.
>
> [4] Use the Reports module

Anything new / in progress with this feature?

To summarize what was proposed and give my view of it:

- Create a webservice or something like that on typo3.org that:
	- reports whether a new minor version corresponding to the installed
version exists
	- reports whether a new major version exists
- Create a report module that shows this information
- Put a "warning" icon somewhere in the top bar whenever something in
reports module needs attention (thus the new version of TYPO3 in our
case but any other warning could be shown there). A click on it opens
the report module

- Administrator should be able to deactive the check
- This should be part of some management module, just as the scheduler
task that is available in EXT:caretaker to automatically update the list
of extensions
- We could think of a report showing extensions that are not up-to-date
either (a bit like the list we have in EM but without the option to
update it, just a _report_, administrator should be able to activate
notification just as for TYPO3 version in the top bar.

Cheers
Xavier