[TYPO3-v4] Add version number to extension name in ext-folder and create a link to currently used version

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Wed Aug 18 23:03:17 CEST 2010

Hey,

another goody I'd like to hear your opinion about.

If downloading an extension from TER, it would be great to store the
extension with the version number pending, and set a link
"extensionname" to the new version.

Example:
typo3conf/ext/phpmyadmin-4.8.1 as d/l from TER
typo3conf/ext/phpmyadmin link to typo3conf/ext/phpmyadmin-4.8.1

Why?:
For us, typo3conf/ext is a SVN checkout (at least for project bigger
than "trivial"). If we update extensions through em, svn is confused
because of the missing .svn subdirectory, because em deletes the folder
and writes the new version.

So, our current workflow if updating from TER is:
- Unload extension and hope BE does not fatal after that
- svn rm old extension
- Import new version from TER
- svn add new vanilla version

This process gets more complicated if we must handle local extension
"hacks", then we need to diff out the hacks from svn, store them
somewhere, import new version and re-apply the hacks.

*if* every new TER extension version gets a new directory within
typo3conf/ext, the old one is not deleted, and we just link to the new
version, all this would be much more simple: We can easily "svn merge"
hacks from older versions, the import is easy, import doesn't destroy
the .svn directories, and it's all transparent for svn. Even the
link-change is under svn control.

Question is: Do you think something like that would be useful to be
handled by core?
If yes, we'll think about a core solution (no promisses).
If not, we *will* hack up XCLASSES or an own em-fork to do that (plus
additional implementation for automatic svn check-in and cleanup, and
maybe handling of svn-external extensions).

Regards
Christian