[TYPO3-v4] Release notifications in the BE

Helmut Hummel helmut at typo3.org
Sun Apr 11 22:12:43 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 11.04.10 00:02, schrieb Steffen Kamper:

> Andreas Otto schrieb:
>> Hi Pim,

>>> Isn't the 'calling home' just a one way street if for instance you use
>>> it to get some xml style info from the typo3.org website?
>>> Then the discussion of statistics and/or private data won't be an issue.
>>
>> Exactly.
>>

> i also hate this spamming notices. But it could be useful to get the
> information on request, so in general i like it. EG there could be a
> button anywhere "Check for updates", this is what i know from many
> applications.

Well, in case of (security) updates I personally let (almost) all my
desktop applications inform my about updates (push notification). For me
this is much less stress than looking regulary for updates (pull
infromation).

Of course TYPO3 as a Web-CMS is a bit different, but I think that some
usere would also appreciate such notifications.

So why not make it configurable (preferably "on" by default)?

Regards Helmut