[TYPO3-v4] Release notifications in the BE

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 19:49:01 CEST 2010

Hi!

Georg Ringer wrote:
> right now there was a proposal in IRC about a nice idea: Notifications
> about new releases in the backend
>
> Details
> -------------------------
> Maybe you know that from Magento where this is already existing.

This exactly what makes me mad about Magento: those notifications when I need to do some work...

> [1] Popup / layer which is shown if a new message is there

-1 because interrupts normal work flow (not workflow but work flow)

> [2] A notification bar in the top displays the amount and tyoe of
> messages as long as they are not read / deleted.

-1 because of the same.

The icon would be better: read triangle with exclamation sign inside. This is not a message, so does not take much time to read. However once you know what it means, you immediately see that there are updates. It is much better than any message because it is a much less distraction. However it is visible much better than any message. +1 to my idea :D

> [3] List of messages in an inbox with some details like severity and an
> external link to get more information.

Why not? Except that we do not have an inbox and I do not see what else could be in such inbox. Any idea? Using the inbox only to deliver new version notifications looks like an overhead to me.

> The places in TYPO3 could be similar. The list could be shown in the
> reports module. Additionally a configuration could be done to show the
> messages to specific user groups, otherwise admins only.
>
> What would we need:
> - A web service on typo3.org which provides the information about a new
> release with some text and the link

Do you mean a real web service by "web service"?

> Of course the messages could be used for other things (which I don't
> have a clue about yet)

Spam? :D

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 security team member