[TYPO3-v4] Release notifications in the BE

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Apr 9 15:59:20 CEST 2010

Hi Georg,

> What would we need:
> -------------------------
> - A web service on typo3.org which provides the information about a new
> release with some text and the link
> - A new sysext which displays the message and the message list

Just keep in mind that this will cause TYPO3 to call home. It absolutely
makes sense, but the feature can become very useful for many other
things like tracking statistics (how many 4.0 installations are still in
use) etc.

I see nothing negative with all this and would be happy to get those
numbers, but I remember that the same discussion has occured several
times before without any result.

- michael