[TYPO3-mvc] Harmonization and Streamlining of CMS Fluid and FLOW Fluid

Markus Klein klein.t3 at reelworx.at
Fri Mar 20 15:57:43 CET 2015

> On 20.03.15, at 01:52, Markus Klein wrote:
>
> Hey Markus,
>
> > Well, it is a matter of fact that the Neos/Flow Team has the hand over
> > the Fluid repository [...] naturally the ACs didn't look too close into the
> upstream repository.
>
> I remember spending endless hours in creating the "FluidBackporter" a few
> years back and keeping it up to date. But I just lost my personal itch when I
> started to concentrate more on Flow and Neos.
> I think it's a great idea to reconstruct a better collaboration but I'm not sure
> how we can achieve this without overhead for both sides unless we really
> use the same code base. No reason not to try it (again) of course.
I guess the community would appreciate that. ;-)

> > Well I expect blockers here, because I fear that interests may collide in one
> or the other detail.
>
> So, how to deal with those? (possible approach below)
>

> > We could even pull some viewhelpers of the VHS extension into the
> standalone Fluid.
>
> I think it should be the other way around tbh:
>
> IMO a standalone package should only contain the Core and View part of
> Fluid, *no* ViewHelpers and it should be possible to register a
> Package/Extension containing the default ViewHelpers (<f:* />).
>
> This means we would still have a separate Package/Extension that would pull
> in "typo3/fluid", provide the core VHs and do further "patchwork"
> (e.g. connecting the caching framework for compiled templates, ...).
>
> This way we could stay (mostly) backwards compatible whilst greatly
> reducing the amount of code (and possible conflicting interests) of the
> standalone package.
Of course the specific VHs need to come from each product individually, but basic VHs like f:if, switch and other "control structures" must be part of the common base. Otherwise it would be really disturbing for users if the implementations for f:if would differ. Eg. Link-VHs of course need to be product specific.
Pulling in from VHS meant copying useful controlstructures/formatters from there, which are not product specific.

In terms of getting a real standalone Fluid, it would need some sort of interface for caching stuff. So any product, be it CMS, Neos or apps built on SF or Laravel can just stick their caching layer in there.