[TYPO3-mvc] best way to query other database readonly from extbase extension

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed Jan 29 08:31:29 CET 2014

Hi,

> as far as I understand you want to create an extbase extension to do
> some sort of calculation and output of data but without creating the
> models for the data you want to have your calculations based on.
>
> That sounds like using extbase without the main part of it and without
> having the benefits you could get from using the MVC pattern.
>
> I recommend you to
> a.) either create an simple extension (using pibase to avoid unnecessary
> overhead) which accesses the external data using custom SQL queries,
> doing calculations and let them be displayed by a simple marker based
> template or
> b.) do the work and create a model for every entity which should be use
> for the calculations. Accessing the data of an external system leads you
> to the challenge to implement a custom way for accessing the data.

c) simple pibase extension with FluidTemplate (to have a modern
templating engine)

d) Extbase extension with a service that connects to your external DB
and do the computation

e) for sure other ways :)

but it's not clear by reading what would be the benefit of creating a
whole domain model, just to say.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers