[TYPO3-mvc] extending controller of another extension

Ivano Luberti luberti at archicoop.it
Tue Feb 26 12:08:58 CET 2013

Hi. I'm just starting to learn extbase and wanted to start with my first
task.
I would like to override a show action implemented in another extension
and then the view of course.
I don't want to touch the model: all the data I need are there, but the
implemented action actually load only a part of the.

I would like to know what would be the best practice.
Actually my plan is:

1) write my own plugin that extends the original plugin so that
overrides the show action

2) write my own template

3) configure TYPO3 so that when the show action is called my
implementation is called instead of the original one.

Of course step 3 is what make my approach feasible or not.
I can guess two way to do that:

a) I put my own plugin on the page instead of the original plugin

b) configure extbase so that when the show action is called my
controller is called instead of the original one.

Approach b) would be better because my customer could keep on using the
original plugin transparently.

Is this possible?

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa