[TYPO3-mvc] TYPO3-Core complete rebuild to realize modern development paradigms?

chris Wolff chris at connye.com
Mon Aug 12 11:09:39 CEST 2013

Hi Gabriel,
the problems with the old and rusty codebase of TYP3 CMS was seen and
known thats why the TYPO3 Flow/Neos Project was started.

and  is this is a realy good base for the next Generation CMS. of
course its Incopatible with the current base.

to rewrite the TYPO3 CMS core would probpably break a lot of
extensions as you could never be quite sure where they have hooked in.
and i think its better to have an continous improvments on the core
than an rewrite.

if you are looking for a modern codebase you Should focus your work
more on TYPO3 Neos they plan to have an 1.0 release in Oktober this
year.
and i Just looked and Neos Alpha 5 and its looking very Promising.

just my thoughts.

regards chris

2013/8/12 Gabriel Kaufmann | Typoworx <info at typoworx.de>:

> We are developers also trying to provide patches and bugfixes for TYPO3-Core
> and came to the idea, that some parts of TYPO3-Core are just too much got
> stucked in it's current code-concept.
>
> To name only some of the main problems (as our own personal opinion):
>
> 1. The "old" antiquated use of string-relations in TYPO3 (TCA-Type
>    "Group" / "DB") saving it's relation internally as String
>    ("[TABLE]_[UID]").
>
>    There are better alternatives in times of modern programming and
>    ORM-Database tools like (to name only one), Doctrine.
>
>    More about doctrine:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine_(PHP)
>    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine_%28PHP%29>
>
>    http://www.doctrine-project.org/
>

> 2. Usage of the old-styled relations mentioned in 1. are more than bad
>    and dirty to handle in f.e. "foreign_table_where" (f.e. TCA Select)
>    clauses.
>
> 3. Rendering of FlexForms is a nice to have feature. Nevertheless
>    internally in t3lib processing it is real hard to realize a real
>    compatibility
>    between TCA and FlexForms (which should have nearly the same syntax
>    / feature-richness) despite of that one is PHP-Array and the other
>    some extended XML-Format.
>
> 4. Extbase is a Core-Extension that still is "unstable" (even if marked
>    as stable by the developers) and still misses even banal
>    Database-Functions GROUP BY, FIND_IN_SET, CONCAT and "COUNT" is not
>    always working as expected (in some more complex queries). All in
>    all... Extbase is really hard to develop on some more complex
>    database-relations and queries.
>
>    We also tried to get in touch with the developers trying offer help
>    trying to integrate a some more established database core, like
>    Doctrine we already use for some other (non TYPO3) projects with
>    huge enhusiasm as there it really works as expected: out of the box
>    and like real "rapid development" - which we currently search
>    forgiven in Extbase.
>

> As we are working in production with TYPO3 and also realizing customer
> projects of course we sometimes come to points finding some (even really
> simple looking) features that should have been working yet - but they don't
> do as expected.
>
> *We also noticed in the last weeks that some feature-requests and bug-tracks
> on TYPO3-Forge/Issue-Tracker have been (in our opinion) premature rejected
> or have just been ignored for some month - even if we provided a patch that
> should have been provided a working solution for some issues.*
>

> For us those "tiny" issues cost us a lot of time in developing and also
> headache while trying to iron out or work-around those issues. And we also
> came to the conclusion that there might be the right time to start something
> "new" upon TYPO3 to begin a new-age for TYPO3.
>

> *As the TYPO3 6.x tree still supports and uses...*
>
>  * the dusty PiBase-Core (introduced with the first "old" versions of
>    TYPO3)
> [...]

christian wolff - webdeveloper, tech-loving geek and typo3 enthusiast
telefon: +49 30 347 244 88
mobil:  +49 179 49 44 758
email: chris at connye.com
adresse: friedelstraße 31 - 12047 berlin

xing-profil: http://www.xing.com/profile/Christian_Wolff43
google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/115669673917212236875/posts?hl=de
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/1stMachine
flattr: https://flattr.com/profile/1stmachine