[TYPO3-mvc] Cache duration for plugin content

Stephen Bungert stephenbungert at yahoo.de
Sun May 6 19:21:20 CEST 2012

Hello!

I have just completed an extension to display user profiles and topics/posts
from scoop.it.

As the information comes from scoop.it, I made the plugins action for topics
non-cached. From what I understand, the rest of the page will be cached, and
just markers for my extenions content will be replaced with my extensions
content everytime the page is viewed. As it is not cached, I decided to
cache the data from scoop.it in a cache table. I then set a duration for
this cached data in TS and then scoop.it isn't queried every time the page
is rendered.

Also currently I'm just caching the scoop.it data, not the whole output of
the extension, I thought this would be useful as you could change the
templates and still use cached scoop.it data, but maybe it's better to cache
the whole content as a string and just get fluid to output this.

Is there a better way of doing this? Can I control how long a cached
extension would keep it's content in the cache? Say maybe just for an hour?
I know that if you change page content the cache gets cleared, but as all my
information comes from scoop.it, any new scoops wouldn't cause the page
cache to be cleared, that is why I decided to make an uncached extension.

Thanks for any tips and help.

Stephen.