[TYPO3-mvc] Persistence of value objects

Bastian Waidelich bastian at typo3.org
Thu Apr 19 18:01:11 CEST 2012

Jochen Rau wrote:

Hi Jochen, hope you had a safe trip home!

> I would like to propose a more radical approach: What if we drop the
> whole distinction between Entity and ValueObjects?

Wow, and that coming from you!? ;)

I'm not perfectly sure about the implications, but I have the feeling
that ValueObjects do make sense. And IMO it doesn't conflict with the
idea of having different representations of a VO.
With your example "#FF0000" could be just a different rendering of the
color "red": $color->renderAsHexCode() or
ColorToHexCodeConverter($color). Similar for the french label:
<f:translate key="colors.{color}" />

I know, the color is just a dump example but this probably applies to
more comples ValueObjects, too.

Well, I'm not a DDD expert. But we have finally fixed support for
ValueObjects in FLOW3 [1] and if we decide to drop that, this should be
discussed with both teams.

[1] https://review.typo3.org/#/c/9762/

--
Bastian Waidelich