[TYPO3-mvc] Owner of a relation

Lorenz Ulrich lorenz-typo3 at visol.ch
Sat Nov 26 14:33:41 CET 2011

Hi everyone

I have a requirement I already have a pragmatic solution for, but I
would like to find out if there are better solutions out there.

Frontend users of a website can add tags to items in the database. This
is done through an MM table. If a tag doesn't exist yet, then it's
created (transparently) in the tag table and afterwards a relation to
the tag is added to the database item.

Now I like to allow the creator of the relation to remove the relations
(not the tags) he created. Therefore I would extend the MM table with a
field "user" that stores the FE user id.

My practmatic approach would be to add a method similar to this in the
repository:

findTagOwner($uidItem, $uidTag)

That calls a manual query statement delivering the id of the FE user. In
the controller I compare it to the logged in user and will then decide
whether there will be a delete icon in front of the tag, the tag
relation can be deleted etc.

If anyone of you knows of a better approach, I would be happy to read it
:-).

Thanks and best regards,

Lorenz