[TYPO3-mvc] FYI: The extbase dilemma

Peter Niederlag typo3-list at niekom.de
Thu May 19 12:55:11 CEST 2011

Hello,

Am 19.05.2011 11:55, schrieb Martin Kutschker:
> Am 19.05.2011 10:54, schrieb Fernando Arconada:
>> +10 for Doctrine inside extbase, It is already implemented in FLOW3
>
> Then why use v4 at all? Perhaps it's interesting to have an *additional* persistence layer at hand,
> but I don't think that Extbase should drop support for TCA-based data storage.

IMO $TCA is pretty historic and not a really nice up-to-date concept for
Object<->Storage Mapping and also has some limititations.

Currently the persistance mapping in extbase is based on a mix of $TCA ,
annotations and PHP-Code.

Doctrine leaves the way of mapping definition to the user
(XML,yaml,annotations,PHP-Code), so everyone can pick it's favorite.

While I assume it should be possible to get a $TCA -> doctrine mapping
definition done I'd still favor to give the developer the choice to
define the mapping himself. After all for example doctrine's mapping
definitions are IMO way more intuitive and clear than $TCA.

Unfortuantly doctrine requires PHP5.3 IMO so it is not a true valid
option for TYPO3 v4 until support for PHP5.2 is dropped.

Making it a configurable choice for extbase might be a goal though. I'd
really love to see this. ;)

Greets,
Peter
--