[TYPO3-mvc] Why don't we suck at TYPO3?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Tue May 3 14:40:49 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 3-5-2011 11:09, Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Am 03.05.2011 10:38, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
>> Because FLOW3 is still changing one can expect that a backport such
>> as Extbase is also changing a lot. Backwards compatibility is not a
>> priority in my opinion.
>
> I think that Extbase users can expect some kind of compatibility.
> Probably not to the same extent of TYPO3 proper, but eg the API
> shouldn't change names (just for the sake of a slighty better name,
> etc).

I still consider Extbase to be a backport of FLOW3; kind of like having
FLOW3 inside TYPO3v4. In that light it wouldn't surprise me that Extbase
is still changing a lot. FLOW3 still changes in ways which are not
backwards compatible and if I think of one of the goals of Extbase (easy
migration of Extbase extensions to FLOW3) I would expect Extbase to
change in similar ways. This is one of the reasons why I was (and still
am) surprised that FLOW3 is in alpha state and Extbase already in beta.

 From Bastian's posting I have to conclude that the goal of Extbase has
changed a little. It's no longer meant to "have FLOW3 in v4 to make it
easy for Extbase extensions to be migrated to FLOW3 packages". It now
seems to be to "have some of the FLOW3 features in v4".

I can be wrong, but doesn't this reduce Extbase to a playground to get
acquainted with some of the FLOW3 features while still using the rest of
the v4 features until Phoenix is a bit more functional?
Extbase loses a lot of its value of transition tool if changes and new
features of FLOW3 are not included in Extbase.

> While I have to admit that I haven't written a TYPO3 extension for a
> while (been busy with Magento), I would have thought that by now
> Extbase is ready for prime time (at least in a limited scope). So I
> really would hope that Extbase is not a target moving at a very high
> speed (see above).

As a backport of FLOW3 I wouldn't expect it to be more stable than the
original...

> Perhaps it makes sense now to split up the working Extbase part
> (which needs "only" to be maintained, ie it's bugs getting fixed) and
> the experimental parts (the backports of new FLOW3 features).

Perhaps it's a matter for the extension which uses Extbase to take
version differences into account? Just like pibase extension has to take
core versions into account.

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.