[TYPO3-mvc] [FYI] Common Extbase critics

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Wed Jun 1 22:42:13 CEST 2011

Hi Bastian,

> Please take some minutes, read our statements and let us know if you
>  don't agree or we missed something important.

Thanks for this very interesting summary. I have taken my first Extbase
steps recently and I can relate to some of the issues mentioned there
;-) But I also relate to the strong points :-)

As I'm totally stressed out I didn't have time to look at patches or
contribute anything (except for the misshapen DateTime patch), but I
wanted to react on the following:

> Extbase is using its own Templating Engine instead of relying on a
> 3rd party solution
> [snip]
> In any case: You're free to replace the View in your Extbase
> extension and use what ever Templating Engine you like.

Has anyone really attempted this? I wonder if it's possible at all,
because - while digging into the source to try and debug some of the
problems I had - I came across some wrong inheritance and some things
which are not as abstracted as they are supposed to be.

I don't have any particular example to quote off the top of my head, but
I was wondering if any of the Extbase "core" people are using PhpStorm
as an IDE. I do and I was surprised at the number of undeclared method
PhpStorm complained about. I checked a few and it's no PhpStorm bug:
there are really inheritance/interface errors throughout Extbase. They
are really easy to spot with a clever IDE. Maybe they are not so easy to
fix ;-) I just wanted to point out that it would be worth checking the
Extbase code with a good code analyzer.

There are also a number of wrong @param/@return phpDoc declarations.

Cheers

--