[TYPO3-mvc] query->setOrderings: order by value list

Stephan Helten stephan.helten at engage.de
Tue Jul 5 10:56:10 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have a controller with a flexform like this:

<settings.flexform.persons>

    <TCEforms>

<label>LLL:EXT:eng_persons/Resources/Private/Language/locallang_db.xml:pi_fl
exform_person.persons</label>

        <config>

            <type>group</type>

            <internal_type>db</internal_type>

            <allowed>tx_engpersons_domain_model_person</allowed>

            <size>10</size>

            <maxitems>100</maxitems>

            <minitems>1</minitems>

            <show_thumbs>0</show_thumbs>

        </config>

    </TCEforms>

</settings.flexform.persons>

The customer is able to define a custom order of the entities in the
backend.

In my person repository I have a function findByUids expecting a comma
separated list of uids (from the flexform value).

Wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to call query->setOrderings with the
provided list to define the ordering exactly as given in the backend?

The ordering by ASC and DESC is not powerful enough to handle this usecase.

MySQL, for instance, offers the function ORDER BY FIELD to support such
cases:

 <http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/209784> http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/209784

Is there already a "best practice" to solve my kind of problem?

regards

Stephan Helten