[TYPO3-mvc] Oracle DB Backend

Zachary Davis zach at castironcoding.com
Sun Jan 30 00:11:15 CET 2011

Xavier,

I'm definitely on board and interested in working on this. For now, I'm
looking for a reasonable short-term solution that can be accomplished
without rewriting large parts of ExtBase and/or DBAL. Our client is
pretty committed to TYPO3 at this point, however, so once the short-term
need is addressed, I'm anticipate that I'll be able tohelp with a more
scalable, long-term solution.

I'm curious to see what the ExtBase folks say here. It seems to me that
the shortest path to making ExtBase work with Oracle (and other DB
backends) might be to rewrite the TYPO3 DB backend (or provide a new DB
backend) that uses the various DB methods in TYPO3 correctly. Can any of
the ExtBase devs comment on whether you think this is a viable
short-term approach?

Or, alternately, I suppose that until there's a full query builder
object in TYPO3 that lives outside of ExtBase, it might make sense to
just write an extBase DB backend that interacts with Oracle directly,
thereby avoiding DBAL altogether.

Zach