[TYPO3-mvc] Oracle DB Backend

Zachary Davis zach at castironcoding.com
Sat Jan 29 20:23:20 CET 2011

I have a client that's using DBAL with an Oracle database backend. My
understanding is that ExtBase is not currently working with Oracle
(correct, right?) However, we intend to use ExtBase for this project,
and we're ready to dig in and do what needs to be done to make ExtBase
work with Oracle. I'd like to do this in such a way that the work can be
reused by others and potentially brought into the ExtBase (and/or DBAL).

 From what I've seen on the newsgroups, there is some disagreement about
how to approach this. If I understand the discussion correctly, one
approach would be to try to make DBAL support the various query
mechanisms that ExtBase uses (eg, sub-selects). Another approach would
be to write a DB backend in ExtBase that is geared at Oracle.

What I want to avoid doing is going in a direction with this that isn't
the direction that the various folks involved involved with ExtBase and
DBAL want to take, thereby reducing the likelihood that the work we do
can be used by others.

My question, then, is whether someone here can point me in the general
direction that we should take on this project. Is writing a new storage
backend in ExtBase the path that will most likely lead to our work
getting committed? Or will we be better off working on DBAL and it's
query parsing mechanisms? Or is there a another, better approach here
that I'm not seeing? If someone from the ExtBase team could give me some
general direction on where would be the best place to implement this,
I'm pretty confident we can take it from there.

best,
Zach