[TYPO3-mvc] Connecting 2 objects results in blank output...

Franz Koch typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de
Wed Sep 8 11:34:37 CEST 2010

Hey Felix,

>> they do not get stored as CSV, but the record table itself is used
>> like a MM-table with attributes
>
> That the foreign_field stuff is not stored in CSV is only true for this
> special case where one address (normally) is attached to only ONE
> person.

that's the scenario I was referring to and most likely will be used in
his case I think (sharing addresses among records doesn't sound like a
good idea). If that didn't come out I'm sorry for that and thanks for
clarification.

> As soon as you have like images/categories in an n:m-relation
> and you use IRRE with foreign_field it will become CSV.

You're referring to the foreign_selector stuff, right? In this case it
of course can't work with foreign_field - that's true. But doesn't the
configuration for MM then have to be at the side of the foreign_selector
field rather then the IRRE one? Shouldn't the selector field then store
the relations? (maybe I should read the docs again ;) )
My last experiments with foreign_selector lay years back and I didn't
like the way it worked back then (or did not work) - so I never tried it
again.

> I just like to allways use the same way/tablestructure but of course
> your way is equally good working in this case.

I'm more a friend of "as less unneeded DB tables as possible" :) I also
feel that leaving out a MM table if not needed should speed things up a
bit on SQL side. Using the same way/tablestructure has of course some
benefits too and might offer a better flexibility for future changes.

Well - it's a matter of taste I think.