[TYPO3-mvc] format.date not converting from timestamp?

Sy Moen tech at gallupcurrent.com
Fri Nov 19 17:56:35 CET 2010

I have typo3 4.5alpha 3 installed... and the ViewHelper for format.date
(DateViewHelper.php) throws the, "could not be parsed by DateTime
constructor." error because the $date is a timestamp... which is how it
is stored in the db...

I am not sure if there is supposed to be conversion to Y-m-d somewhere,
but the only way I could get this ViewHelper to work was to change it
like this:

     if (!$date instanceof DateTime) {
+++     if (is_int($date)) $date = gmdate("Y-m-d", $date);
         try {

...any thoughts?