[TYPO3-mvc] RFC #10666: Allow plugins to be registered as new content element

Bastian Waidelich bastian at typo3.org
Mon Nov 15 11:26:59 CET 2010

Franz Koch wrote:

Hi Franz,

>>> I know why I never liked the autodetection ;)

>> [...]

> I think we had this discussion already ;)

I know, but you brought it up again ;)

> [...] I simply don't see that it'll work well with the v4 way of dealing
> with plugins (the new_content_element_wizard will get flood)

I think, that is a misunderstanding:
The automatic target page detection is deactivated by default and has
nothing to do with how you split up your extension into multiple plugins.
But speaking about it: I like extensions to be split up into logical
parts as it allows you to have different page content on a details page
for instance.. It's tedious that you have to insert multiple plugins for
an extension to work, but it's probably the only way to allow this.
We recently discussed this in the Phoenix team and this is also the
reason why we'll probably have to keep that concept of multiple plugins
(even though it will be much easier because you'll have generic single
view plugins probably).

That the content element wizard gets confusing with too many plugins is
an issue of the wizard. IMO it should offer you to insert all plugins
you have access to. And it should present them in a hierarchical view.
We had that discussion too, but I did not have the time to send in a
patch yet..
At least with 4.5 the "insert plugin" view is on a single tab by default
which makes it better readable even if you have a lot of plugins.

Best,
Bastian