[TYPO3-mvc] RealURL with extBase

Nathan Lenz typo3 at k9tfk.com
Wed Jan 20 19:32:43 CET 2010

Has anyone done this yet?  I just read through the "Routing" chapter in
the FLOW3 manual, seems very powerful.

I wonder if it will be possible to make pretty url's with extBase in v4?

I know this might end up involving questions about RealURL, but thought
it might be more appropriate to post it here for now.

It would be super easy to do something like this with RealURL:

/pageintypo3wheremypluginis/controller/blog/action/show/blogname/my-blog-name/

controller would map to tx_myext_pi1[controller] with a valueMap or
userfunction that makes the controller name all lowercase. I suppose you
could make it work either way by doing:

'blog' => 'Blog',
'post' => 'Post',
'Blog' => 'Blog,
'Post' => 'Post'

action would map to tx_myext_pi1[action] with no special changes because
actions are lower case by default.

Then blogname would map to tx_myext_pi1[Blog] with a table lookup.

I'm not really satisfied with this solution because a url for my domain
would end up being:

/recipes/controller/recipe/action/show/recipe/meatballs-with-gravy/

That's ugly and too long! :)  /recipe/ shows up more than once and
/controller/action/ shouldn't be necessary.

In a perfect world, I'd have pretty urls like this:

/recipes/show/meatballs-with-gravy/
/recipes/dishes/main-course/
/recipes/dishes/

It is easy to extract controller and action from the URL using
fixedPostVars where you make the first parameter the controller and the
second parameter the action for a fixed page id.

However, the third parameter is where it gets complicated.  As far as I
know it's not possible to vary a look-up-table based on the second rule
back in the rule chain.  So that's where I'm currently stuck.

/somepage/controller/action/uniquestring/string-mapped-to-id-in-table
/somepage/blog/show/blogname/some-blog/

It's still a little ugly in my domain:

/recipes/recipe/show/recipe-name/meatballs-with-gravy

Anyone else given this much thought?  What are you doing in your extensions?

--Nathan