[TYPO3-mvc] errors (exceptions) are not always helpful to debug their cause - extend them with more details?

Franz Koch typo3.RemoveForMessage at elements-net.de
Wed Jan 13 17:50:35 CET 2010

Hi,

I just wanted to mention that quite some of the error/exception messages
I stumbled upon so far are not that helpful for beginners to find the
error in their code. Although the messages are not cryptic and in
general very descriptive, they're in some cases missing the name of the
class or property that caused the problem.

Examples:

-------------
Error: "Tx_Extbase_Persistence_Storage_Exception_SqlError
Operand should contain 1 column(s)"

Which operand? Which table got processed, or which model? What has been
tried to do?
-------------
Error: "Given property name is not of type string."

which property? And probably which class was related to this property name?
-------------
Error: "Could not determine a Data Map for given class name."

Which class? Would be good to know, right?

So question is - is there a special reason for this (maybe to not unveil
some internal logic for security reasons), or can those messages be
changed in order to be of more help for developers? I'm willing to
change the error messages I stumble upon and provide patches - I just
need the official o.k. to do so.

Or what are other devs currently experimenting with extbase/fluid
thinking about this? It would at least have saved me some time so far
knowing a bit more about the related parties in the cause of the error.