[TYPO3-mvc] access control & localization: are they killing the idea of extbase by now?

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Wed Jan 6 15:58:31 CET 2010

Sebastian Kurfürst schrieb:

>> It partly works, see http://forge.typo3.org/issues/show/4639
>> quote: "Localization works read-only by now. We need to implement a
>> reverse overlay."
> Thanks1
>
>> For me the key question is, does it make sense to use "extbase" the
>> other way too. By creating very basic v4 compatible localization and
>> access control features in extbase now, most of the extbase-based
>> extension would use the same api. If v5 comes in we would find a way to
>> develop the same api there with an v5-"extbase" package. What do you and
>> especially Jochen think about this?
>
> I think while it is generally possible, to me it sounds like very much
> work for the last 5% - so for only a marginal gain. I guess I wouldn't
> work on that, but if somebody wants to try, why not? :)

Given the complex possibilities for localization by overlaying "writing back" an object is probably
not easy. As long as I can localize the records via standard BE and display them correctly in the FE
I'm content. Actually tslib offers IMHO also no support for editing of localized records for FE
users. So here's the same situation as with ACLs, it would be nice to have the feature, but there's
not a lack in comparison to the "classic" features.

Masi