[TYPO3-mvc] access control & localization: are they killing the idea of extbase by now?

Andreas Rieser A.Rieser at T3site.com
Wed Jan 6 00:29:12 CET 2010

Am 05.01.2010 um 09:18 schrieb Sebastian Kurfürst:
> Maybe a general note first, before I come to the specific two points:
> Extbase (and Fluid) are a tool which should capture proven best
> practices from FLOW3 - so people can learn the new techniques and get
> comfortable with them.
> The emphasis is on *proven* here - we have lots of ideas what would be
> cool (f.e. I'd like to have really good widget support in Fluid),
> but as
> many of these ideas are not really proven by real life, we decided
> rather not to implement them yet.
> At some points where you do not know really the direction in which a
> certain problem should be approached, I'd rather step back and see
> first
> what ideas the community has - getting inspired again from different
> implementations - and then we can distill the best of it out and
> make an
> implementation that really rocks.

Hello Sebastian,

yes, you are absolutely right.

> Now concerning Access Control:
> This *is* already implemented and well-working in FLOW3 (Andi Förthner
> has done a great job on this), but it uses AOP as a basic building
> block
> for this functionality (which we don't have in v4). Additionally, the
> approaches are not really 1:1 comparable, so there will be some manual
> work needed during update.
> However, when some of you have a great proposal concerning a nice
> Access
> Control Implementation in v4, just show it to us :-) (in fact, the old
> pibase-extensions never had access control out of the box...), that
> might be a feature for Extbase 2.0.

Well, implementing Access Control via AOP is beautiful - but no AOP
no Access Control doesn't convince me ;-) Sadly you are right, there
is not to much access control stuff in pibase - atm I can only think
of the typical cObj->enableFields() for generating additional stuff
for your where-clauses. But I think it might be a good idea to put
something like this and perhaps a bit more in Extbase.

> Concerning Localization of content / plugins:
> Basically the same applies here what I said about access control, only
> that it is clear *how* Extbase should support it (because
> everything is
> there in the backend already) - so I see this only as a missing
> feature.

It partly works, see http://forge.typo3.org/issues/show/4639
quote: "Localization works read-only by now. We need to implement a
reverse overlay."

> So, to summarize: The code of Extbase and FLOW3 is not 100%
> compatible,
> but IMO this is not really doable. We are already having it about 95%
> compatible I'd say, but there will be always some slight platform
> differences - and most of the code is directly transferrable.
> Hope this sheds some light on these issues :)

Yes, it did - at least I'm sure now that I didn't miss anything.
100% is impossible - extbase is already connecting two worlds... if
you want 100% FLOW3, please take FLOW3 instead ;-)

For me the key question is, does it make sense to use "extbase" the
other way too. By creating very basic v4 compatible localization and
access control features in extbase now, most of the extbase-based
extension would use the same api. If v5 comes in we would find a way
to develop the same api there with an v5-"extbase" package. What do
you and especially Jochen think about this?

Greets,
Andreas