[TYPO3-mvc] Feedback on extbase

Nils Blattner nb at cabag.ch
Fri Feb 19 09:50:44 CET 2010

Hey Sebastian

Am 18.02.10 19:52, schrieb Sebastian Kurfürst:
> Hey Nils,
>
> thanks for so much feedback :-)
>
>> However, the amount of abstraction used by extbase is sometimes hard to
>> cope with! With our infrastructure Eclipse is not exactly the tool of
>> choice, so I was limited to a (compared to eclipse) rather basic editor.
> I'd be interested why you did not use Eclipse? Most of the developers
> here use Eclipse, I have recently switched to the new NetBeans version
> as it is soo much faster, but both offer nice autocompletion etc.

Lets just say that Eclipse doesn't quite enjoy it when a workspace gets
unmounted :=)

>> In our application handbook we defined that the labels should become red
>> on errors, and not the inputs.
>> So I tried for some time to replicate the behaviour of the inputs until
>> I finally just copy pasted the form.textbox ViewHelper and changed it to
>> label (with some modifications of course).
> I think that the documentation is lacking badly here. In case you extend
> AbstractFormFieldViewHelper, you get a method
> "setErrorClassAttribute()", which will automatically add a CSS class to
> the tag which is being rendered. I'm not sure, maybe this part should be
> put to another place in the API, tough (as it is not marked @api).

Yeah, I found that eventually, but I tried to replicate its behaviour
rather than copy/paste. As a label doesn't quite need the same kind of
computation as a form field.

>> [pid]
>> But for future projects it is a must have feature to be able to define
>> pids directly a) in a query and b) when storing!
> I am not sure about this. With a) and b) we lose upwards compatibility
> with FLOW3, as we don't have a "PID" concept there. However, I agree
> with you that there must be a more flexible way to hook into the
> persistence backend if needed.

Well, I can understand your dilemma, but TYPO3 as it is makes heavy use
of the PID-concept.
And it can get quite annoying if you have to make some classic extension
work together with extbase when you have different storage places. And
since in a big TYPO3-project with multiple supsites it is kinda crucial
to have such mechanisms.

 From where I stand the easiest way to get the PID into the persistence
backend is to extend (the manual kind, not the php one) the settings
class and use the same concept as with the ignore pid thing.

> Greets,
> Sebastian

So as I already said yesterday, I will make some bugreports and submit
some code.

By the way, I will be in munich over the weekend at some TYPO3-meeting
(was a very spontaneous thing), so if any of you guys is there too we
could philosophize some :) (@ the Hofbräu or somewhere)

Regards

Nils